LKG Rhymes in English for Children with Videos and Lyrics with Free Downloads
In this blog, we have curated a list of Top 10 English LKG Rhymes that can be enjoyed by your children. All the LKG rhymes in this blog have videos and lyrics. You can also do a free download of these rhymes by clicking on the download button under the Youtube video. But first, as a parent, you need to understand how we have arrived at this list of LKG English Rhymes for children. The basis for deciding the age-appropriateness of the rhymes is the phonological awareness of kids at this stage.
Phonological Awareness of LKG children
Children at this stage become skilled in generating more words that rhyme or that sound alike (e.g., slip, slap; clap, clip; string, strong). They can easily generate a series of 4-5 rhyming words and name 4-5 words that begin with the same sound. Some children are able to use this awareness of sounds to create invented spellings of words they wish to write and can clap to the beat of syllables in long words. This apparently makes it easier for a child to develop a conscious awareness of speech sounds, and then detect and manipulate these in words.
“So, while selecting nursery rhymes for LKG children, parents should focus on the rhymes which have lyrics with a greater number of words that rhyme as well as more and more words which begin with the same sound.”
Blogs to help you start Early Learning at Home
Please read our introductory article, to understand the categorization methodology of nursery rhymes for preprimary, LKG and UKG children.
Here is our list of Top 10 English LKG Rhymes for Children with Videos and Lyrics
- One Two Buckel My Shoe
- See Saw Hurry Up and Down
- Open Shut Them
- Old McDonald
- Jack and Jill
- Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around
- Hey Diddle
- This little light of mine
- Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Three Blind Mice
Click here for direct access to our Youtube Playlist on Top 10 English LKG Rhymes Videos. You can also do a free download of these videos by clicking on the download button under the Youtube video.
1. One Two Buckel My Shoe:
2. See Saw, Hurry Up and Down:
3. Open Shut Them:
4. Old McDonald:
5. Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around:
Explore our Youtube Channel
6. Hey Diddle:
7. Ten Little Fingers:
8. Itsy-Bitsy Spider:
9. Three Blind Mice:
10. Jack and Jill:
We hope you liked our curated list of Top 10 English LKG Rhymes for Children!
- By the time children are in LKG, they should have memorized quite a few rhymes. Parents should now focus on teaching them the meaning behind some of their favourite rhymes.
- Start pointing out words that begin with the same sound and play games with rhyming words and words that begin with the same sound.
- Start splitting words into syllables or sounds and ask your kid to guess what word it is. For example: “For lunch, we can have do..sa. Do you know what I said? We have to stop here and have some f … oo … d. What do we have to do?”