UKG Rhymes in English for Children with Videos and Lyrics with Free Downloads
In this blog, we have curated a list of Top 10 English UKG Rhymes that can be enjoyed by your children. All the UKG rhymes in this blog have videos and lyrics. You can also do a free download of these rhymes by clicking on the download button under the Youtube video. But first, as a parent, you need to understand how we have arrived at this list of English UKG Rhymes for children. The basis for deciding the age-appropriateness of the rhymes is the phonological awareness of kids at this stage.
Phonological Awareness of UKG children:
- Children at this stage can easily recognize the rhyming words. They can, in fact, find the odd word from a list (for e.g. cat-mat-big) and list words that start with the same sound (e.g. pet, pin). They also identify the phonemic changes in words.
- In the second half of UKG standard, the children also start distinguishing and remembering separate phonemes in a series of words. They can match and isolate initial sounds (e.g. hand = h –a – n – d: 4 sounds) and are able to do syllable deletions as well as compound word deletions (e.g. Say ‘cupcake’. Take away ‘cup’ and what is left? cake).
“For UKG children, parents should focus on nursery rhymes which have more meaningful lyrics and can help children understand important concepts like counting, alphabet, actions etc. They can also begin to appreciate rhymes which do character building, develop manners or have a moral lesson in them. For UKG children nursery rhymes can provide perfect opportunities to enhance their task completion capabilities. This is also referred to as “teachable moments”.
Blogs to help you start Early Learning at Home
Please read our introductory article, to understand the categorization methodology of nursery rhymes for preprimary, LKG and UKG children.
Here is our list of Top 10 English UKG Rhymes for UKG Children:
- This is the way
- A was an Apple pie
- One, two, three, four, five, Once I caught a fish alive
- Mary had a little lamb
- Good Manners
- Monday’s child is fair of face
- Ten Little Fingers
- Hickory Dickory Doc
- Star Light Star Bright
- The Pirates song (When I was One)
Click here for direct access to our Youtube Playlist on Top 10 English LKG Rhymes Videos. You can also do a free download of these videos by clicking on the download button under the Youtube video.
This is the way:
A was an Apple pie:
One, two, three, four, five, Once I caught a fish alive:
Mary had a little lamb:
Monday’s child is fair of face
Ten Little Fingers:
Explore our Youtube Channel
Hickory Dickory Dock:
Star Light Star Bright:
The Pirate Song (When I was One):
We hope you liked our curated list of English UKG Rhymes for Children!
How should parents help their UKG standard children in language development
- The development of all aspects of phonological awareness (understanding how words can be segmented and blended into syllables, rhymes and sounds) will support the flexible use of knowledge of sound as one component of the reading and writing process.
- It is important for parents to use language terms such as word, syllable, sound, letter and rhyme in context consistently, with the UKG level children. It helps children to develop the ability to understand and talk about the language, as well as increases their phonological awareness.
- Parents can choose books for read-aloud and shared reading for a variety of purposes, including attention to phonological awareness.
- Activities that support wordplay can increase child’s phonological awareness. For example, picking a multi syllable word and talking about how it has more than one beat (syllable), but it is still just one word, also supports word awareness.